The Symposium is organized by the Association of the Engraved Glass Symposia, in collaboration with the Glass School of Appliad Arts, the town, the Glass Museum and the Atelier of Peter Rath, all from Kamenický Šenov, and with members of the Czech Glass Association.
/International symposia of engraved glass/
The International Symposia of Engraved Glass in Kamenický Šenov have been organized by the Kamenický Šenov Town, the Glass Museum, the Secondary Glass School and the Glass Studio Peter Rath since 1996. In 1998 The Association of Symposium of Engraved Glass was founded as a special-interest association of natural and artifical persons. Its aim is to provide – in cooperation with other subjects – the preparation and organization of the tri-annual International Symposia of Engraved Glass in Kamenický Šenov.
– creative meetings and cooperation of artists, handycraftsmen, historians, theorists and other specialists
– development of new ideas in the branch of engraved glass and discussion of possibilities of their realization
– increasing of the interest n the technique of glass decoration by engraving especially with students of glass schools
– making of new contacts, developing of cooperation with top specialists and institutions both from the Czech Republic and abroad
– organization of professional seminars
– publication of documents from the individual years of Symposia
– publicity of the glass industry in the region
The first Symposium was held in 1996 on the occasion of the 140s anniversary of the foundation of the Secondary Art-Industrial Glass School in Kamenický Šenov – the oldiest glass school in the world – with the participation of 88 artists, engravers, glass specialists and other interested persons from ten countries. The exhibition of the works was opened at the Glass Museum Kamenický Šenov from September 27 to October 31, 1996.
In the third Symposium held in 2002 on the occasion of the 650 anniversary of foundation of Kamenický Šenov under the sponzorship of the European Union 115 participants from the Czech Republic, Australia, Estonia, the Netherlands, Japan, Germany, Austria, Russia, the Great Britain and the United States. The results of their activities were presented in the Glass Museum from September 7 to October 31, 2002.
The fourth Symposium will be held from September 5 to 11, 2005.
A part of all years of the Symposia became a simultaneously interpreted professional seminar about the history, present and future of the engraved glass, an exhibition of the works of the participants, visits of glass
/Works donated to the collections of the Glass Museum Kamenický Šenov were presented in exhibitions abroad/
1/ “Leidenschaft Glasschnitt – Generationen der Glasgravur versammelt zu Franz Wendlers 90. Geburtstag” in the Glass Museum Rheinbach near Bonn, Germany (6. 6.–21. 9. 2003)
2/ „The Glass Bridge/ Glasbrücke Kamenický Šenov – Weisswasser“ in the Glass Museum Weisswasser, Germany (27. 3.–31. 5. 2004)